Arkwright House revamp, Manchester, gets planning consent
2nd April 2015
Sheppard Robson’s conservation-led full and sympathetic refurbishment of Grade II listed Arkwright House, Manchester has received planning consent.
Originally designed in a neo classical style by local architect Harry S Fairhurst for the English Sewing Company and completed in 1937, Arkwright House comprises eight floors, totaling 86,970 sq ft. The design, commissioned by Catalyst Capital, proposes a carefully considered refurbishment of the first to sixth floors and part of the ground floor. Included in this is the extension of the upper floors at the rear of the building by infilling the three light wells, which will be predominantly glazed to maximise natural light and extend to merge with the rooftop extension facade, in order to deliver a finish that is respectful of this highly crafted Listed building.
New office accommodation will be created at the seventh floor level in the form of an open-plan office suite, comprising 7,000 sq ft with panoramic views to the south. The ground-floor lobbies will be carefully altered and returned to their original form, providing open space with views directly into Parsonage Gardens.
Works will be also be undertaken to the stairwells and lifts, and new mechanical and electrical services introduced throughout the building. The basement will be updated with an improved parking layout and the addition of facilities for cyclists, including eight showers.