Custom House Glasgow, UK
The project comprises the restoration of Glasgow’s Grade A-listed Custom House and its conversion into a 300-bed hotel as well as the addition of a 150-aparthotel east of the building.
Glasgow’s Grade A-listed Custom House, designed by John Taylor in 1840, sits on the north bank of the river Clyde in Glasgow’s Central Conservation Area. Sheppard Robson has been commissioned to convert the building and the adjacent gap site to hotel use comprising the careful restoration of the Custom House building with elements of new-build surrounding the historic structure. Custom House will form the main entrance to a new 294-bedroom, 4* hotel, with the original interiors used for the public areas of the hotel including reception, foyer, conferencing and events spaces. At the rear of the existing building a new glass roofed courtyard space will house the public bar areas set against the backdrop of the original rear facade. The bulk of hotel bedroom accommodation will sit behind Custom House, in a new tower element in the centre of the city block.
A 162-bed aparthotel that will operate independently from the hotel will be built on the site of the former tenement buildings to the east of Custom House with ground floor bar and restaurant uses providing active frontage to the public realm. A stepped form to the new building will allow the creation of public terraces at high level offering spectacular views over the river to the city beyond.
- Artisan Real Estate Investors
- 22,000 m2